Movement breaks don't have to be a half-hour aerobic session in the classroom, they can be quick 5 minute breaks placed throughout the day. My students love their movement breaks. Whenever I see them starting to fade, we take a break and move!
Youtube has made finding movement breaks so much easier! They have some great activities you can easily display on your Smartboard! Here is a list of some of my favorites breaks from youtube.com.
- Monster Mash Halloween Energizer- This break is awesome for the month of October! It's done to the song "The Monster Mash," and it has the students sit like a pumpkin once the song is done!
- The Penguin Dance- I love penguins, and my students definitely love acting like one! This song and dance is high energy and so much fun!
- The Banana Song- This break is pretty quick, so I will play it twice when we need it!
- The Sid Shuffle- Sid the Sloth from Ice Age leads students in doing the Sid Shuffle. They show people from all around the world dancing, so you can add a little geography into this one.
- Peanut Butter Jelly Time- The only thing bad about this one is that it will get stuck in your head all day long!
- The Gummy Bear Song- This is from Just Dance Kids 2. My students love this one.
- Just Dance Kids- There are tons of fun dance songs for your students! Just do a search for Just Dance Kids.
- Fitness Freddie- Freddie does five-minute fitness breaks for your students. It is like a five-minute trip to the gym.