Image Map

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Teacher Tech "Know" Tuesday


I love using Word Clouds in the classroom with my students. For those of you who are not familiar with word clouds, they are images composed of words about a particular text or subject. They are great additions to projects and wonderful tools for applying vocabulary skills. You can use web based sites like Tagxedo, and Wordle to create word clouds if you use computers in your classroom. If you use tablets in the classroom, there is a great free word cloud app from ABCya.

At the beginning of the school year, I like my students to create word clouds that describe themselves. They use words that describe themselves while creating their word cloud. This is a great getting to know you activity for the students. You could do this project with any word cloud generator. However, I have my students use Tagxedo for this project. Tagxedo will let you upload your own photo to shape your word cloud. For this project, my students use a picture of themselves to shape their word cloud. The finished projects are pretty impressive and look like abstract art. The word cloud below is one that I created using a photo and Tagxedo.



How do you use word clouds in your classroom?


No comments:

Post a Comment